Friday, February 22, 2013

The Dodgers Infield


It has been ages since the infield is filled with extraordinary talent with the likes of Steve Garvey at first base, Davy Lopes manning second base, Bill Russell at shortstop and Ron Cey in the hot corner at third base. This year, the Dodgers are half way there, with Adrian Gonzalez taking over first base, Mark Ellis playing second base, Hanley Ramirez playing shortstop and Luis Cruz taking control of the hot corner at third base. I consider the catcher a part of the infield, but it gets the least recognition of being the infield. A.J. Ellis will be controlling the plate and taking care of the pitching staff.

I am so happy that first base has a legitimate defender/power hitter in Gonzalez at first base. Gonzalez came over in a monster trade from Boston that brought himself, pitcher Josh Beckett, outfielder Carl Crawford, and utility man Nick Punto last season. My expectations for Gonzalez is that he will bring in at least 90 runs and also hit at least 25 home runs. That is the expectations that everyone expects out of a first baseman. Gonzalez is entering his prime years, so I expect him to produce very well and I believe in him that he will representing the Dodgers and Los Angeles fans at this year's All Star game.

Mark Ellis is a defensive wizard, I expect him to play his role on the team really well. I expect Ellis to get a lot of good pitches because he has Crawford in the 2nd spot, with outfielder Matt Kemp in the 3rd spot, Gonzalez in the cleanup or fourth spot, outfielder Andre Ethier in the fifth spot and Ramirez in the sixth spot. The players batting behind Ellis are very dangerous hitters to face. I am expecting Ellis to play really well this season.


Ramirez, I have a lot of concerns with him playing at shortstop because he couldn't get to play shortstop in winter ball because of a shoulder injury, but this guy is so athletic that I wouldn't be surprise if he plays really well at shortstop during the season. The other concern is that he is one of those players that you have to keep in check and make sure he is happy in Los Angeles because otherwise his play on the field will start to affect him and he will become unhappy.


Cruz was surprise last year, getting the starting job at third base. His defense was stellar and he hit a .290 batting average. Cruz is a fan favorite at Dodgers Stadium, count me as one of them, so I expect Cruz to keep up the good work and hustle. I think he is eager to prove that he belongs in the big leagues and he won't waste the opportunity to stay in the big leagues. I believe Cruz will be the starting third baseman on Opening Day with a good spring.


A.J. Ellis plays catcher, like Cruz, was also a surprise last season, especially at the plate. It was expected of Ellis to play good defense and control the pitching staff, but no one expected him to have that good of a season on offense.


This infield will exciting to watch, especially at the plate on offense because there is so much talent on the field that I believe that it will be unbelievable. I believe that Gonzalez and Ramirez will have all star caliber season and Cruz will be cruzzing (see what I did there?) through with another outstanding season and Mark Ellis will start off the offense with getting base A LOT. I think that the pitching staff will have a fun and more relaxing time pitching this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment