The Dodgers had one of the most dependable benches in the league last season and I expect this year's bench to be the most dependable bench again. Considering the amount players that can play multiple positions.
The competition for the backup roles on the bench will one of the things on list to keep an eye on because some of the spots are not guaranteed and some non-roster players might play really well during spring training.
I expect utility men, Jerry Hairston Jr., Nick Punto and Skip Schumaker to all make the team, Juan Uribe is going to need a really strong spring training to prove that the Dodgers should keep him for one more season. Uribe, originally started off as a starting third basemen back in the 2012 season, but he has had two bad seasons due to injuries and just not being in shape. I believe that Uribe can be a serviceable bench player as a backup corner infielder, playing third and first base.

The competition that I am most interested in is who wins the backup catcher, Tim Fedorowicz or non-roster invites Jesus Flores or Ramon Castro. I believe that Fedorowicz can win the job because the Dodgers management have plans for him to be the starting catcher of the future. Fedorowicz will get strong competition from Flores and Castro. Castro is a longtime major league veteran and has a very long career as a backup catcher. So I believe that the race for the back up catcher will between Fedorowicz, Flores and Castro. My opinion though is that Fedorowicz will win the job, but its in the air because everyone can have good or bad days
Schumaker is expected to play backup outfielder and second base, but he has the ability to play all outfielder positions as well. Hairston will be backing the corner outfielders and third base. He can also play second, shortstop and maybe first base. Punto is one of my favorite bench players on the Dodgers, I believe that he will play second base and third base. I think Punto is learning to play first base this spring, along with Hairston, Uribe and maybe one of the backup catchers.
No comments:
Post a Comment