Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Dodgers Coaching Staff


Almost the whole Dodgers coaching staff is returning from last season, whether its in the same roles or in new roles, but the fact that their whole staff is returning its a huge plus. The reason its a huge plus because the players know these coaches and are pretty comfortable with them. If there were an entirely new coaching staff, it would take the Dodgers longer to get comfortable with the whole staff.



Don Mattingly is returning for his third season as a manager and he is due up for an extension after this season. He is a players coach and that is what I would like to have in a manager. Someone, who would listen to their players and what they have to say and the manager would do their best to make and keep the player happy. I believe that Mattingly should the Dodgers Manager for years to come because I like his coaching style and he has a strong voice in the clubhouse or the locker room. He has played in the major leagues before, so he understands what the players want.


Rick Honeycutt, I have to say that he is one of a few very important pieces of this Dodgers coaching staff because he's the pitching coach, the Dodgers have placed in the top 5 every year in pitching ERA (earned run average). Meaning that the lowest runs given without errors. I really like what Honeycutt has done with the pitching that the Dodgers have. He helped Kershaw become the ace of the pitching staff the bullpen has held it together throughout the long season. I expect the Dodgers to be really dangerous in pitching this year and placing in the top 5 again because they have a solid veteran bullpen and an All Star rotation.


There are three new additions to the coaching staff. Mark McGwire will be joining the Dodgers as the new hitting coach after spending his last three seasons serving the same position with the St. Louis Cardinals. McGwire will be the most important piece, along with Honeycutt, this year as the Dodgers prepare themselves for a run to the World Series. Good offense will create good pitching, but great offense will create fantastic pitching. Pitching and hitting coaches go hand in hand. McGwire will have an assistant hitting coach in John Valentin. Valentin was promoted from within the Dodgers organization in the minor leagues. Chuck Crim was also promoted from the minor leagues in the organization and will be become the new bullpen coach. I believe these were very good hirings for the Dodgers because these guys know how to do their jobs so well. So I expected the Dodgers to be in the top 5 in offense and pitching this year.

I like the McGwire hiring a lot because he has lead his former team, the St. Louis Cardinals as hitting coach, to the top five in the offense category. McGwire brings his wisdom to LA and will hope to duplicate his success.

I expect this season to be a fun season to watch for pitching and offense because there is an all star rotation and a very deep bullpen. I expected to see the offense transform under McGwire into offense giant. When the pitching staff pitch well, good things will happen for the Dodgers. This coaching staff is the key because they have to make sure to put the right players on the field, especially in the later innings. That is what I believe will make the Dodgers successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment